Many doctors recommend leveraging a FSA (Flexible Spending Account) and HSA (Health Savings Account) to use pre-tax account dollars to pay for medical procedures including LASIK vision correction. With the arrival of fall, it is important to be proactive and utilize unused FSA dollars before the current enrollment year ends.
Save Money on LASIK with Flexible Spending
Applying FSA / HSA dollars to LASIK eye surgery costs can save you anywhere from 20-30% of the expenditure, depending on your income level. This is possible because Flexible Spending Account contributions are deducted from employee checks through the year before becoming subject to payroll taxes. Not only can this save you from paying more at the doctor's office, it also reduces your annual tax liabilities.
A key piece of information to remember is that FSA / HSA dollars are time sensitive. Any contributions you put toward your FSA account must be sent by the close of your employer's next enrollment period. When a patient is interested in utilizing FSA dollars for LASIK eye surgery, there are two points of interest to check on:
1. See if you are able to use the entire allotment during the first month of benefits
2. Determine if your FSA plan allows for a short “grace period” after the end of your company's enrollment year where funds can “roll over” into the following enrollment year.
2013 FSA Changes & LASIK Eye Surgery Cost
Until 2013, no federal implication limited FSA contributions, despite the majority of employers determined on a suitable limit for their employees based on IRS mandates. This contribution ceiling was usually set somewhere between $ 2,000 and $ 5,000. However, as of January 1, 2013, the maximum amount of contributed FSA dollars was capped at $ 2,500 per enrollment year. This is important to remember when planning for LASIK eye surgery cost.
Achieving clear vision through laser eye surgery , should you be deemed a LASIK candidate, is still a very reachable goal. However, it is important every patient remain proactive in planning ahead due to the now mandated contribution cap.
Tips for proactive planning and paying for LASIK eye surgery :
- Research flexible spending FAQs, the difference between eligible and ineligible expenses, your personal medical needs and any medical goals you have for the next year.
- Utilize an online FSA calculator to see how much of a contribution you may want to consider.
- Discuss additional FSA / HSA details and possible limitations with your Human Resources Department.
- Keep in mind spouses can contribute to a joint Flexible Spending Account to increase available medical funds.
- Be proactive in scheduling a consultation with reputable LASIK eye care specialists who can determine if you are indeed an ideal LASIK candidate. Ensure during your visit that safe, FDA-approved technology is used during all LASIK vision correction procedures.
Be proactive in scheduling a consultation with reputable LASIK eye care specialists who can determine if you are indeed an ideal LASIK candidate. Ensure during your visit that safe, FDA approved technology is used during all vision correction procedures.