Eye injuries are common, and in many instances visiting an eye hospital emergency department (in case of more serious injuries) for further assessment is best.

Here's a quick glance at some common eye injuries and advice on what to do:

Blunt injury : You may suffer a dull eye injury, for instance from a tennis ball, or a fist. Depending on the force of impact, you may just get a 'black eye' – but you may also suffer a serious eye injury such as a blow out fracture . Consider consulting an eye doctor if you notice one or more of these symptoms:

I. You can not see properly from the injured eye.

II. You develop double vision.

III. You damage your eyelids or other parts.

IV. You notice, on close inspection, a blood level behind the clear front bit of your eye.

V. You see that your pupil (the black central bit of your eye) is larger than in the other non-injured eye.

VI. You spot that your eye looks as if it's being pushed inside your skull (due to a blow out fraction – you also can not look upwards).

VII. You can not see your eye properly because of pain or swelling.

Chemical injuries : Chemical burns (for example, from strong cleaning solutions, paint stripper or materials used by the building trade such as cement or hydrochloric acid) can cause serious damage to your eyes, predominately when the chemical involved is alkali. The remedy is to hold your eyelids apart and flush your eye with plenty of clear water immediately – you may use up to one or two liters – and then go to the nearest eye doctor immediately.

Damage to your cornea : The cornea is the sensitive front-bit of your eye and an injury to your cornea (called corneal abrasion ) can be very painful. Corneal injuries are commonly caused by getting a twig in your eye when gardening or by children who reach out and accidently scratch your eye. If the pain persists or does not tone down, contact your eye specialist.

Foreign bodies : Eyelashes often get into the eye and cause discomfort, but usually they reappear. Rolling your eyes while pulling softly on your eyelids may help.

Penetrating wounds : If a chance exists that your eye has suffered a penetrating wound – for example, you've been chiseling or working with a hammer and a small particle injures your eye – you need to visit your eye specialist immediately, particularly if you notice the following conditions:

I. If it is painful and waters.

II. If you can not tolerate the light.

III. Your pupil is unusually wide or distorted.

Always try to prevent injuries by wearing protective goggles when you're doing activities that can damage your eyes, such as high-speed grinding or other do-it-yourself projects.